Webuild emerges as the best bidder for the Italian Napoli-Bari railway contract


Webuild emerged as the top bidder for a contract for the design and construction of the Orsara-Hirpinia section of the Napoli-Bari high-speed railway project in Italy.

Once awarded, the $ 1.23 billion (€ 1.032 billion) contract will involve the management of Webuild work for Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (Gruppo FS Italiane).

The works will be carried out by a consortium, in which Webuild holds a 70% stake while Pizzarotti holds the remaining 30%.

Previously, an additional 11.8 km section of the same line between Orsara and Bovino had been awarded for a value of $ 437.09 million (€ 367.2 million).

This contract is part of the modernization of the railway between Bari and Naples.

It is planned to include the Orsara-Hirpinia section in the fifth corridor of the trans-European transport network (TEN-T), which would operate between Helsinki and Valletta.

This new section will extend over 28 km, including nearly 27 km in tunnels.

Trains on this line are expected to travel at a speed of 250 km / h.

Meanwhile, the Bovino-Orsara section will briefly come into service with the construction of a temporary link to the historic line next to the current Orsara station.

With the demolition of the temporary rail link, the project will start on the Bari side, next to the already constructed rail line for the Bovino-Orsara section.

The 314m Cervaro Viaduct begins after a briefly elevated portion, which connects to the 27km Hirpinia Tunnel on the Naples side.

In a statement, Webuild said: “The Naples-Bari high-speed line will be a strategic axis in the development of sustainable mobility in southern Italy. This will roughly halve the time it takes to travel between Naples and Bari to just two hours.

“It will also bring the north and south of Italy closer together, reducing the travel time between Milan and Bari to six hours.”

Last week, Webuild and its U.S. unit Lane Construction signed the final deal with Texas Central for a $ 16 billion contract to build a high-speed railroad between Dallas and Houston.

About Juana Jackson

Check Also

Cooking with Robert St. John: RSJ’s Tuscan Top 10 | Free News

BARBERINO-TAVARNELLE, ITALY — Over the past 11 years I have spent a lot of time …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.